WACO Value Added
WACO and the Environment
Waco Filters recognizes the overwhelming importance of protecting and enhancing our environment-both the built environment of man made structures and the global environment of our planet. We further recognize that the filtration industry must play a vital role in sustaining the livability and healthiness of our environment. Waco is dedicated to use its position and resources to improving the built and non-built environments. The proper filter strategy can remove particulates thereby improving air quality and creating a healthy environment. Waco is prepared to partner with its customers to reduce waste, lower energy consumption, reduce their carbon footprint and in general reduce harmful impacts to the environment through smart application of filtration technology.
We start by seeking out manufacturer partners who engineer environmentally sound features into their products, provide lower initial and final air resistance to reduce energy consumption, deliver longer life and reusable components to reduce waste, and identify those that are actively involved with the US Green Building Council’s LEED program (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design). Waco identifies manufacturers who are already aware of the importance of green policy and environmentally beneficial products and make them our “green partners”. Waco actively searches for products that contribute to a more sustainable environment while in active use and when disposed do not contribute to waste or clog landfills. We are environmentally sensitive to both the product and its surrounding process.
Waco helps its customers go green by reducing waste and extending the life of the products it offers customers. Specific environmentally friendly characteristics of Waco filtration products include:
- Higher dirt holding capacity
- Longer service life
- Disposal of used product by incineration
- Lower energy consumption by reducing airflow resistance
- CO2 Emissions Reduction
- Materials that curb microbial growth such as bacteria and mold
- Leak proof frames and pack designs
- Promote use of MERV 13 and above filters (improved efficiency, high dirt holding capacity)
- Keeping HVAC coils cleaner with higher efficiency filters for optimal energy use
- Non toxic adhesives in filter construction
- Recoverable filters with washable or replaceable media
Waco works particularly closely with two of our manufacturer partners.
- Purolator the manufacturer of the Purogreen 13 and Dominator series of air filters has long focused on filters which removes harmful particulates very efficiently with reduced air pressure drop, lower energy consumption, and a reduction on CO2 emissions, while lowering the customers’ total cost of filtration
- Shawndra manufactures air intake filters and specializes in cleanable, recoverable filters. Many Shawndra filters are made of stainless steel and are not only cleanable but longer lasting.
Waco is actively working with other manufacturers of air, liquid and gas filters to form additional partnerships which further our commitment to improve the environment we have inherited and leave to future generations.
Waco Is a Primary Industry Source for Green Filter Products
Waco is in a strong position to contribute to the growing necessity for and interest in “going green”. As a company which provides products and services which (a) improve air quality, (b) clean water and (c) improve the healthiness of the built environment, Waco strives to be in the forefront of the growing market imperative for environmental responsibility.
Quantifiable Benefits of Environmental Investments
Customers can easily quantify the benefits of environmental best practices which result from employment of Waco products.
- Healthier environments that attract tenants
- Improved efficiencies and lowered operating costs
- Rapid Return on Investment for installing green products
- Higher occupancy rates and premium rents
- Reductions in use of electricity, potable water and natural gas
Waco’s Approach to the Green Market – LEED
Given the complexity of environmental improvement, sustainability, and safety, there are multiple approaches Waco pursues. Waco’s initial focus is on the LEED program (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) promulgated by the US Green Building Council. According to USGBC, LEED “encourages and accelerates global adoption of sustainable green building and development practices through the creation and implementation of universally understood and accepted tools and performance criteria.” The LEED program is well organized, international in scope, comprised of thousands of members and located across the country.
The primary LEED platform is a certification program that ranks buildings and products from Basic to Platinum based on a detailed rating scale. The rating scale includes criteria such as Water Efficiency (including Discharge Water Compliance and Innovative Wastewater Technologies), Materials and Resources (including Air Introduction and Exhaust Systems, Increased Ventilation, and Smoke Control), and Indoor Environmental Quality (including Smoke Control). It is worth noting that the USGBC has recently established Social Equity Guidelines requiring organizations to incorporate the needs of diverse communities, including the underserved and communities of color, and be proactive in advancing social equity objectives. The USGBC intends to collaborate with social justice and quality-of-life advocates, in order to integrate the practices of social and economic justice with those of sustainable building.
Filtration Markets Particularly Concerned with Pursuing Green
The following market sectors have demonstrated a significant interest in going green via their membership in environmental organizations such as the LEED Program or their pursuit of various green certifications.
- Schools and universities
- Professionals such as architects, engineers and consultants
- Hotels and restaurants
- Financial institutions